This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor and Mike W talk about “iPhone 8” rumors, including anticipated launch date, price, and you guessed it, TouchID. Also up, Qualcomm’s latest salvo, and what will become of the iPhone SE.
There’s that suspicious hole in the back of the enclosure
AppleInsider editors Mike Wuerthele and Victor Marks discuss:
- JP Morgan thinks the iPhone 8 will ship ‘on-time’ in September. Of course, it’s hard to really ship late if you haven’t announced anything, least of all a phone that’s different than the anticipated 7S / 7S+.
- TouchID on the case back concept rears its head again, with a new machined enclosure picture.
- annnd, in the stream of rumors that keep coming back to life, a case surfaces with a large sleep/wake button
- Samsung is rumored to have a contract to fab the iPhone cpu in 2018. They lost this contract to TSMC a few years ago after having shared the business with TSMC for years.
- The expensive iPhone commentary continues, with UBS suggesting a $ 900 iPhone would see sales increase by as much as 15%.
- Fortune issues their rankings on corporate revenue and profitability. In profitability, Apple was nearly double their nearest neighbor on the list.
- In the latest chapter in Qualcomm and Apple, Qualcomm sues Apple in Germany over power management IP. This is different but related to the current ITC complaint. Germany wasn’t chosen at random. Watch this space.
- Qualcomm’s CEO says he can’t comment, but that these things usually settle out of court. We neglected to mention that Tim Cook had said something similar as well, but we still expect this to take a while longer to shake out.
- People seem to think the iPhone SE is a dead product. We think it will get updated, because it still serves a role in Apple’s product line and price points.
- We talk briefly about the latest iOS 10.3.3 / macOS 12.16, TvOS 10.2.2 updates. If you haven’t gotten them installed, do so now. I mean it. Now.
- Mike’s review of Koogeek HomeKit smart plug.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for “AppleInsider.” Click here to listen, subscribe, and don’t forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
Follow our hosts on Twitter: @mike_wuerthele and @vmarks.
Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at email@example.com and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.</span>
Let’s block ads! (Why?)